Thursday, October 31, 2013

Cora's Big Day

I know this day was a long time ago, but since I've been giving you glimpses through the adoption process, I thought I'd share the last part of how Cora became ours.

At the end of August, soon after Cora turned 6 months (a day after to be exact), we arrived at the local court to legalize our adoption.  Basically, during the 180 days following Cora's placement with us, we had to complete 5 visits with our adoption agency, including one home study.  Although Cora's birthparents relinquished their parental rights 48 hours after Cora's birth, we had to wait 6 months before we were legally named Cora's parents and thus issued a new birth certificate with our names on it.

So, we woke up bright and early and got to the courthouse early.  This was an appointment we didn't want to be late for.  Good thing, because we were the first ones to go!

IMG_2288
Cora, excited for this great day!

In a proceeding that lasted a total of 5 minutes,  we were sworn in, asked a few questions, and legally pronounced Cora's parents.  The judge even gave Cora a little teddy bear and let us take a picture with him.
IMG_2293e

The hearing was so quick that a friend we invited, who got stuck in a little traffic, just managed to catch the end of the hearing.  But, she was gracious enough to take a few pictures for us.  Thanks Auntie Jeanie!

2020
We're legally the Sliks!

2029

IMG_2295e
My happy girl!

Truly, a wonderfully meaningful and joyful day for our family!  I am just amazed at what God has done in bringing our family together.  7 years ago, when Slik and I got married, I would have never dreamed that we would end up adopting a child.  Now, I can't dream of our life without our precious daughter!

8 comments:

  1. Yay love it. You guys are awesome and she's equally as lucky to have you as parents!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you catalogued this part of your family's story! You looks so happy together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having attended a couple of these ceremonies when I worked with Child Advocates, I know how joyous they can be. I'm so happy for you guys that Cora is officially your little girl; although, I know she's been yours in your hearts from the very beginning. God be praised for bringing her into your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Praise God for bringing us together!

      Delete
  4. Such sweet photos, y'all!

    Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Your family is gorgeous and so very blessed.

    ReplyDelete