Monday, September 12, 2011

Another Visitor

On the tail of my sister's visit came a visit from my mother-in-law.  I sure am getting spoiled with all these visitors from home! It's been almost a year since we moved out here, meaning it's been about a year since I saw my family....that is a long time for me.  And, since we don't have plans to visit the states till March of 2012, it's so nice to get some family time in before then.  I miss my family and I miss America!  I think I will lie down and hug the ground when I get back to the states.

So, being my mother-in-law's first trip to Asia, her flight was not without a few glitches.  She got a little side-tracked during her transit in Hong Kong, but luckily made it onto her flight with seconds to spare.  

Our first day, I took her out to Orchard Rd. where we walked past a photo shoot:
IMG_4509
What was so funny about this is that the girl had to lunge a step forward while these two guys with big foil-wrapped pieces of cardboard fanned her to make her hair fly backward.  She just kept lunging back and forth while the guys kept fanning and the photographer snapped away.  I guess that's how they get action shots done...If this were me, I'd be a sweaty mess.  Don't be deceived by those people wearing long pants, it was hot and humid out.

Next we stopped for some traditional English hi tea at a fancy hotel on Orchard Rd.  It was really nice and relaxing.
IMG_4523

I didn't bring my camera around to most of the sights we visited because of a lazy streak....and the fact that my shoulders/neck have been bugging me lately (signs of getting old).  The camera gets heavy after awhile!

But, I did make Andy lug my camera around the day we took my mom-in-law to visit the Chinese Gardens.  The Chinese Gardens are normally free, but because of the Mid-Autumn Festival, there were special events and decorations so they were charging for entry.

IMG_4542e
Entry way to the gardens

IMG_4555  IMG_4560
Seven story pagoda and the view up from the inside

IMG_4564
View from the top of the pagoda

IMG_4577

IMG_4586
We cheered on a race....I would say dragon boat, but there weren't any dragons or drums...(sorry I should've cropped out that person's hands but I was too lazy)

IMG_4593
Decorations on the lake

IMG_4594
A tree topiary...kind of a bizarre animal shape....is it a lamb? or dog? or a cow with duck lips?

IMG_4601e
Andy and his mom

Andy's mom had a great time here, she made the quickest jet lag recovery I've ever seen!  Thanks to some homeopathic no-jet-lag pills, she was ready to go every morning.  As always the week went by too quickly.  Hopefully she'll be able to make another trip out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment