Friday, September 16, 2011

Birthday Week(and a half)

This year, I turned 29 on the 29th...only happens once in your lifetime!  Andy and I were born only 11 days apart so every year we turn our birthdays into a week-long celebration.  We pool together our birthday money and treat ourselves to some good eats.  A very special birthday treat that I received was a visit from my mother-in-law.  It was her very first visit to Asia - she braved the long flight to Singapore by herself and made it in one piece...despite a few glitches on the way.

To kick birthday week, Andy treated us to hi-tea at The Regent Hotel (obviously Andy was at work and did not care to join us in eating dainty little sandwiches and scones).  The spread was amazing and the scones were awesome.  Usually I don't like scones because they tend to by dry like biscuits, but these were moist and warm.  Delicious!

IMG_4520

This year, I decided I wanted a cake for my birthday.  In Asia, there's a bakery on just about every corner, so Andy and my mother-in-law picked up a beautiful mango mousse cake for my birthday.
IMG_4606

Some of you may think getting a cake is no big deal, but seriously, I think the last time I had a birthday cake was about 10 years ago...

For dinner, we went out to Marina Bay and my mother-in-law treated us to dinner at Osteria Mozza, one of Mario Batali's restaurants.  I was lazy and didn't bring my camera so there won't be any pics of the awesome food we had.

Now, fast forward 11 days to Andy's birthday.  I made my first Singapore groupon purchase and got a great deal for dinner at Anar, a Middle Eastern restaurant on Sentosa Island.  So, I decided to take Andy there for his birthday dinner.  We walked around the island a little before dinner:

IMG_4795     IMG_4800
Universal Studios Sentosa and the scene outside Candylicious candy store

The restaurant itself was beautiful.  There was a beautiful chandelier in the center of the restaurant.
IMG_4804e

IMG_4801

This time, I actually got pictures of the food since I brought my camera.  Yay!  
IMG_4805
Appetizer: Hummus with minced beef and Falafel

IMG_4819
Entree: Couscous Royale - Braised lamb shank, chicken sausage, roasted veggies and couscous

IMG_4820
Dessert: Baklava - Not quite the baklava I was expecting

All in all, it was a great birthday week (and a half)!  We had visitors, great meals out, and had lots of fun. Gotta make the most of this year because next year is going to be the - dun, dun, dun..... - big 3-0!

No comments:

Post a Comment