Friday, October 7, 2011

Crazy Dot Ruffle Dress

I've been busy in the sewing room and am so proud to show off my first dress!  I picked up this great polka dot fabric during our trip to Shanghai a few months ago.  It's a very thin and light cotton fabric, perfect for hot weather.   I showed my sewing teacher this dress from Ann Taylor Loft and she helped me draft my own pattern:


I love this summery casual look, but decided to lose the spaghetti straps.  I find that spaghetti straps either leave my bra straps hanging out there or force me to wear an uncomfortable strapless bra, neither of which I prefer.  I am all about comfort.  The great thing about designing your own clothing is that you can customize it however you want....as long as it fits properly and you know how to draw it (enter my sewing teacher's expertise).  So, my version of the dress turned out like this:

IMG_5051e

Ruffle Dress Collage

Then, I did a little shopping and picked up a cute belt at Cotton On to complete my new outfit:

IMG_4987e

Hooray for comfortable and cute dresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment