Thursday, February 2, 2012

A New Dress (and a Date to Match)

Recently, I made a new dress, so of course I needed Andy to plan a date worthy of my new dress.

He did not disappoint.  He took me to see Ballet Revolucion at Esplanade Theater (that's the one that looks like a giant durian).  It was a great show that blended together traditional ballet with latin, hip hop, and modern dance.  It was like an episode of So You Think You Can Dance, without any comments or screeches from a certain annoying high-pitch-voiced judge.

IMG_8282

After our show, we walked around Marina Bay over to the Marina Bay Sands Mall where we had dinner reservations at db bistro.  On the way over, I handed my camera over to Andy and had a little photo shoot so I could show off my new dress.

IMG_8335

IMG_8350
I was probably in the middle of telling Andy he's taking the picture crooked....

IMG_8372
This is a great dress for twirling because of the full pleated skirt - love it!

This dress was based off one I found on modcloth.com


I learned quite a bit in making this dress, especially about bias and fabric stretching.  Basically, when fabric is cut on the bias (diagonal), it tends to stretch, so you need to take measures to prevent the stretching and modify the cut of your pattern to account for any stretching.  The dress doesn't quite lie flat in some places, but really, I don't think anyone is looking close enough to notice.  I'm pretty happy with the dress and will wear it proudly!

Anyway, to top off the night, we had a nice dinner at db bistro, which is famous for this burger:

IMG_8397
The db original burger.  Ground sirloin stuffed with foie gras and short rib meat.  Delicious!

IMG_8392
I also had a seafood casserole....so yummy!

All in all a great opportunity to wear my dress (and have some yummy food)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment