Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bird Park

Over the weekend, we took Julie to the Bird Park.  Andy can get free passes through work so we took advantage of that for some free entertainment.

We managed to get up early in the morning (Julie was still recovering from jetlag) and got out to the Bird Park in time for the "King of the Skies" show.

IMG_3541
Waiting for the show to begin

Andy and I had already seen the show, so I remembered there being a point where a volunteer gets to go up and  catch a falcon.  So, when the showmaster asked for a volunteer, I jumped at the chance and he actually picked me!  I got to be a master falconer for a moment and got to have a hooded vulture land on my arm.  It was pretty awesome.

IMG_3573

We stopped by the penguin exhibit for penguin feeding time:

IMG_3589
African penguins

Then we visited the Lory Loft - it's an enclosed area with all these little Lory birds flying around freely.  You can buy little cups of food and feed the birds.

IMG_3698

IMG_3679

We checked out some other exhibits and made a few friends.  What I love about the Bird Park is that they have areas where they allow birds to roam freely so that you can get up close and personal with them...the downside to that is you really have to watch out for what is flying overhead.  I got to experience that on our first trip out to the bird park when a bird left a little present on my camera...

IMG_3621
One of my favorite birds - Victoria Crowned Pigeon.  Photo by Julie.

IMG_3731
Birds having a chat - photo by Julie.

IMG_3755
Andy and his new friend.  The bird preferred to stick around us because there 
were a bunch of kids trying to terrorize the bird a few steps down.

IMG_3789
Trying to get the pigeon to pose with Julie.  Not an easy task.

All in all, it was a really fun day and we had a great time.  Now on to the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment