Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Other Side of the World

A few things that happen when you live on the other side of the world....

Last week, we celebrated a friend's birthday party with a surprise bowling party.  I got my friend a nice serving plate and dipping sauce bowl but couldn't find a box for it.  I scrounged around and found a nice bag (I do have to admit, it was from a restaurant, but it was really pretty and a good quality bag) and wrapped up the plates in some blank newsprint to protect it.  Admittedly, it looked a bit lame, but no worries, I added some pretty pink tissue paper and the present was presentable.  I left the present with one of my friends so that those who were going early to set up at the bowling alley could put it with the rest of the presents.  The surprise went successfully and my friend was very happy, but when I got to the bowling alley, I noticed that my present was not among the others.  Instead, it was tucked off to the side with the extra party supplies.  Then, I looked over at the bouquet of flowers that my friend got

IMG133

hmmm that tissue paper looks very similar to my tissue paper...because it is my tissue paper!  Of course this left my present looking like a bunch of garbage

IMG136

IMG134
it appears that there is actually some garbage thrown in there!

Apparently my friends (who are Singaporean), didn't know my present was an actual present.  I asked them about it and they said the tissue paper was just lying on the top, not wrapping anything so they thought that it was just extra paper.  I guess it's not the custom in Singapore to stuff useless tissue paper in a gift bag to make it look pretty (I suppose they do have a point).  They felt pretty bad about it, but I thought it was ridiculously funny.  We all got a good laugh out of that one!

In other news, our water heater is out (again) and we're on day 4 of cold showers.  No matter how hot it is outside, a cold shower is still pretty darn cold.

On Saturday, Andy watched game 7 of the World Series via.....Skype.  Oh the marvels of modern technology.  We usually talk to my in-laws on Skype on our Saturday morning, their Friday night.  This weekend, that happened to be while they were watching Game 7 of the World Series.  Andy was dying to watch the Rangers, but none of our channels were showing the game.  So, my in-laws worked a little magic and set up their webcam right in front of the TV so we could watch via Skype.

IMG_5436

IMG_5435

Too bad the Rangers lost...I guess we'll be Skyping into Thanksgiving dinner next!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for the confusion your gift wrapping caused - but it makes for a great story :)

    ReplyDelete