Monday, December 12, 2011

Siblings in KL

My brother and I also took a side trip to Kuala Lumpur for 3 days.  We got to travel in style on a luxury bus with the seats that were like recliners.  Plus, each seat had it's own TV and controls, and they served food and drinks on board.

IMG_6371

I booked us a room at a little boutique hotel called Anggun Boutique Hotel.  It was a really nice hotel, but our room faced the street and was really noisy all night.  However, the service was great and when I complained about the noise, they transferred us to a quieter room for the second night.

IMG_6388
Our nicely decorated room - of course I got the king bed....and Jimmy got the little cot.

IMG_6394
Jimmy checking out the scenes from our balcony

The room also came with a computer/TV so we could surf the web on the big screen.

IMG_6401


Once we unpacked, we headed out for some sightseeing.  Unfortunately the main attraction of KL, the Petronas Towers, was closed to visitors for maintenance work.  Instead we visited the KL Tower.

IMG_6420

From the top, we got a pretty good view of the city as well as the Petronas Towers.  Unfortunately it was a rainy/smoggy day so it was difficult to see very far.

IMG_6424    IMG_6426

IMG_6440
Of course we took a self portrait with the towers.

Afterwards, we walked over to the mall beneath the Petronas Towers and had dinner.

IMG_6458

After dinner, Jimmy had his first (and probably only) experience with the dreaded, stinky Durian.  For those of you who don't know what it is, it looks like dead chickens (according to my sister) and it smells like a gas leak.

The Durian Experience:
Durian Experience
This is the progression of faces my brother made as he had his first taste of the mighty Durian...I made him take a second bite so I could take some pictures of his reaction.  Concentrating so hard on making a good face for the camera, coupled with the nasty taste of Durian, resulted in my brother gagging and nearly throwing up right in the mall.  Needless to say, I don't think he'll be trying it again.

On the second day, we enjoyed a relaxing breakfast upstairs at the hotel's rooftop restaurant called Bubu restaurant.  It was like a garden oasis in the city.  

IMG_6742
Rooftop Restaurant

IMG_6744
Coffee, fresh juice, and fruits

IMG_6750
Healthy porridge - it may sound like nothing special, but it was DELICIOUS!


Then we took the train out to Batu Caves just outside of KL.

IMG_6509
242 steps to the entrance of the caves

IMG_6515
A woman/cow/bird/peackock statue....slightly disturbing

IMG_6641
We also did a guided tour of the Dark Caves

IMG_6636
Jimmy and me in the great chamber

IMG_6485   IMG_6653
Outside, we saw some people carrying interesting things on their heads....the man had three boxes of water and was climbing 242 steps.  That's dedication.

After all that climbing, we headed back to the Petronas to do some photography.  Jimmy's main goal for the trip was to duplicate a jump picture in front of the Petronas towers that he'd seen online.  So I got down on my elbows and knees and started snapping.

It takes many tries before you can get the perfect pic....Jump Collage

Here are two keepers:

IMG_6703     IMG_6691e

Our picture turned out pretty well, but Jimmy was hoping to make himself smaller in comparison to the towers and to cut the street and cars out of the frame.  However, it was just impossible from our angle.  Finally tired out, me from kneeling on the ground to take the pictures and my brother, from jumping so many times, we decided to call it quits and take one more final picture with the towers:

IMG_6713
At this point we're both hot, sticky, and sweaty.

But, as we crossed the street to go home, I noticed a plaza right in front of the towers along with a bunch of steps.  So, I dragged my brother over and there we found the money shot!

IMG_6725e cropped small file
Finally, THE perfect pic!

So, my brother went home satisfied with a fun and exciting trip to Southeast Asia.  You can check out the rest of my brother's visit in my flickr album.  This marks the end of my month of visitors.  Now Andy and I are gearing up to do a little traveling ourselves during the holidays.  We'll be touring Vietnam for a week and a half....looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. oh no, now everyone knows the secret of how I was able to jump between the towers!

    ReplyDelete