Monday, December 5, 2011

Mom Comes to Singapore

For the past few weeks, I've been having too much fun with my visitors to post about it.  Now the fun is over, just said goodbye to my last visitor for awhile...

So, now for a quick recap of my mom's visit.  My mom flew to Taiwan first, to visit family, and then came over to Singapore, bringing me all sorts of goodies.  Mostly, I just took her around to the different grocery stores and of course, to the wet market.  If you know my family, one of our favorite things to do is go grocery shopping.  We just love to browse grocery stores and markets for yummy things to eat.  It's considered a family pastime.

While my mom was here, we did a little shopping and I took her to Orchard Rd.  There are always interesting photo-ops popping up on Orchard.

IMG_6151e
Elephant parade in Singapore - they're all over the city/island.

IMG_6157e
Next to the giant Tiffany & Co. tree

IMG_6170e
Me and Andy posing in front of the fake winterscape - still on Orchard

IMG_6181e
Possible e-Christmas card photo?

I also took my mom to see the World Orchid Conference at the Marina Bay Sands convention center.  They had decked out the inside of the convention center with live orchids:

IMG_5784
Those are all real flowers!

IMG_5865
Mom in front of a crazy orchid arrangement

IMG_5847
Mom with the orchids

Orchid montage:
IMG_5822    IMG_5815

IMG_5809    IMG_5827

IMG_5811    IMG_5798

IMG_5924
Boat in a pond display.  I think this was from Indonesia.

IMG_5972
Plant in a glass bubble

IMG_6007
The grand champion orchid, which was grown in Taiwan - go Taiwan!

Our tickets to the Orchid Conference also got us access to a preview of Singapore's latest attraction - Gardens by the Bay.  It's behind the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and is basically a park with a greenhouse called the Flower Dome.  There will also be a Cloud Forest, where I think you can go up one of these "trees" and check out the view below, but it wasn't open yet.

IMG_6029
Couple posing in front of the giant "trees" at Gardens by the Bay

IMG_6118
View from the bridge linking MBS to Gardens by the Bay.
L to R: Singapore Flyer, crazy artificial trees, Flower Dome


IMG_6115
The Flower Dome a.k.a. a giant greenhouse

IMG_6059
View inside the Flower Dome

IMG_6054
View of the Singapore Flyer from the Flower Dome

IMG_6040
Mom posing with some statues and plants

IMG_6094
Me and mom in the Flower Dome

IMG_6078
Gerbera Daisy close up

IMG_6068
Some plant

IMG_6110
Mom was probably tired of taking photos at this point.

I had a great time with my mom.  You can check out the rest of the photos in my flickr album.  We browsed the markets, ate at hawker centers, and did a little bit of shopping.  I introduced my mom to Uniqlo, and she's a big fan now!  All too soon, it was time for her to get back to the states (I think the house was falling apart without her around).   But, before I had any time to miss her, I had to get the house ready for my next visitor....my brother!  More on that in my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment