Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Goodbye Mani, Goodbye Cockroach

Yesterday, I decided to paint my nails so I could look extra pretty for our date to see the Houston Symphony in the special dollar concert (yes, it only cost me $1 a ticket, but I had to pay a $5 service fee and $7 to park - go figure).  I rarely paint my finger nails because inevitably, 30 minutes after I'm done, I ruin it.  I don't know how some women can keep their manicures looking pristine past 1 hour...any tips? Maybe they just sit around home eating bon bons and watching Keeping up with the Kardashians (which I admit I occasionally watch as a guilty pleasure....I think their life is ridiculous, but it's inexplicably engrossing).  At least when I watch, I'm probably sewing.  Sewing = death for manicures.  I guess I just like to get my hands dirty...I don't know why I even bother with manicures.

IMG_4400

Anyway, today I busted out my sewing machine after a 3 MONTH hiatus and traded my manicure in for sewing.  Making stuff is way more awesome!  It feels so nice to be in front of a sewing machine again, although my neck tension problems are creeping back.  I need to work on remembering to maintain good posture while sewing and take breaks in between.

Here's a sneak peek at my new sewing area:

IMG_4402
I forgot to take a pic after I actually brought out the sewing machine

My manicure isn't the only thing I've said goodbye to lately.  The other day, I lived through what I call "The Great Cockroach Standoff".  I was unpacking and organizing the bathroom linen closet when I spotted a gigantic cockroach in an open bag of toilet paper.  There were little black turds in there too so I suspect the cockroach had been there awhile....I'm hoping that it came from our temporary apartment since there was a roach problem back there (this is what I tell myself to overcome the gross thought that I'm living in a roach infested apartment).  Anyway, I tried to kill the roach in the bag, but it got out and then proceeded to crawl all over my stuff, up the wall, and onto the ceiling.  Now the ceilings here are about 9 ft high and the cockroach just parked itself up there.  In the process of trying to kill it, I pretty much pulled everything of the closet and created a gigantic mess.

IMG_4377
My big mess


Now, how to kill this little bugger? I thought about using my swiffer to squash it against the ceiling, but what if I missed and the bug fell on me?  There wasn't really much room to get into the closet and the roach was too close to the door, making it impossible to see it unless you stuck your head in the closet and looked up (with your mouth closed of course).  It was getting close to dinner time, but I couldn't leave the room without the roach being dead.  So....I sent Andy a distress call, told him to get his butt home pronto and pick up some roach spray on the way (it helps that I literally live next door to Home Depot).  Then I pulled up a chair and began "The Great Cockroach Standoff".

IMG_4375 text

About half an hour later, Andy came to the rescue.  He reached his hand into the closet, pointed the nozzle of the roach spray towards the ceiling, gave a blind spray, causing the roach to fall to the floor, and I creamed it with my swiffer.  Victory is mine! So:

Cockroach: 0
Sliks: 1

I took a pic of the dead roach on my phone, but I figured you probably would rather not see it.  Hopefully I'm on my way to living roach free....

2 comments:

  1. gotta use the electric swatter and sizzle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get one of those....although the handle might be too short. I like that the swiffer leaves at least 3-4 ft of distance between me and that nasty thing.

    ReplyDelete