Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Weekend Wrap

IMG_4726e
This week's sewing project is a blanket for a special little girl.  So many of my friends are having babies, it's hard to keep up.  This blanket is actually looking more like a 2 or 3 month birthday gift...better late than never right?

Last week's sewing project is being put to good use now.  My sister in law sent me a picture of the cushions I made for her - success!
IMG_1689

This weekend was a fun one.  The past two weekends, Andy's been working at home.  With the Olympics and fun events in Houston, he didn't get much work done this weekend.  It all started Saturday morning with some of my favorites:
IMG_4715e
There's a Dunkin Donuts a couple miles from my apartment!!  To my Jersey friends, it may be no big deal to you guys, but Dunkins are few and far between here in Houston.  No better way to start the day than with a cup of French Vanilla coffee and my Houston Chronicle.

Saturday night, we checked out White Linen Night in the Heights.  The Heights is an older neighborhood of Houston - it kind of reminds me of Austin with it's eclectic old homes and interesting shops.  White Linen Night is basically a huge party in the Heights.  They close down a couple of streets for pedestrian traffic only.  There's food, drinks, shopping, bands, and some other interesting entertainment.  Oh, and everyone wears white.  I didn't feel like lugging my camera around, so I just took pics with my phone.  Sorry for the bad quality pics.

IMG294e
Only in Texas!

      IMG305e  IMG306e

They had this giant mister called the blizzard blaster set up on the street.  It was an outdoor mister and a/c all in one.  Andy really enjoyed it.
IMG307e  IMG308e

Then, we came across the bizarre moving band.  Basically everyone in the band was moving around.  For those that played stationary instruments, they were set upon a platform with wheels and then pulled around by another person.  On top of that, there were dancers dancing to the "tunes" (which really just sounded like a bunch of noise).   I felt bad for the 3 men pushing/pulling the piano around....it was HOT out.

IMG302e  IMG301c
IMG300e  IMG298e
IMG299etxt

To cap off the night, we stopped at Pink's pizza and ordered a giant slice of pizza.  This piece of pizza must have come from a 24" pie...guess that's why a slice cost $5!  It was so big, you needed two hands to eat it.  There were no open tables so Andy and I took turns holding the box (grease catcher) for each other while the other used both hands to hold the slice of pizza.  So yummy!  I must say, it's the second best pizza I've had in TX - and that's saying alot!
IMG311e  IMG312e
IMG314e  IMG315c
So ends another fun adventure in Houston.  I'm so glad we're back home - after living abroad, I really have a greater appreciation of the comforts of living in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment