Monday, January 14, 2013

Happy (2 weeks after) New Year!

Well, it's 2 weeks into the New Year and I've pretty much missed my chance to wish everyone a happy new year.  But, since it's my blog, I can do whatever I want right? So happy new year anyway!

I ended up having a bunch of friends over to ring in the new year.  I made Hainanese Chicken Rice, which really made me miss Singapore.  We had a fun time hanging out, sharing embarrassing stories, and eating good food.  However, I came away with a few realizations on aging.

You know you're getting older when:

1.  You'd rather stay at home than go out for New Year's Eve
IMG_7551

2.  You end up toasting the New Year with mugs of tea
IMG_7552
In Aslik's defense, he was the most festive out of us by toasting with his glass of sparkling apple juice.

3.  Your New Year's Dance party is powered by Just Dance 4
(I will not post any embarrassing photos of that)

4.  You try and replicate your parent's old pictures and do the serious Asian mafia pose.
IMG_7557
It took us a couple of tries to master the serious pose.

IMG_7558
Even then, it was too hard not to smile for some of us :-)

IMG_7559
A more natural pic

I'm really excited for this new year.  I'm continually grateful for the friends I have here in Houston.  It's just really special to me to have childhood friends nearby.  It's also wonderful to make new friends even if my time here in Houston is limited.  Most of all, I'm hoping this is the year we'll be able to grow our family with a baby.  With adoption, it's hard to really predict when we will be matched with a baby.  Odds are that it will be this year, but you never really know.  I'm sure alot of you are wondering about how it all works, but I'll save that for another post.

As much as I loved living abroad, I'm so glad that Aslik and I get to spend most of this next year living in the states.  I think life is just so much more comfortable and easy here in the US.

So, I hope you all had a great time celebrating the new year and have gotten off to a fantastic start!  I know I have :-)

IMG_7564txt


3 comments:

  1. love it...super cute :) miss you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys are too cute!!!!!!!!!!!<3 When are you coming back to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys need to come visit :-) I think we're not planning to come visit until May or June...

    ReplyDelete