Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, it's officially Thanksgiving here in Singapore, but it sure doesn't feel like it.  It's 90 degrees outside, and unfortunately, we won't be eating ourselves into a food coma with family and then watching the Thanksgiving day game.

However, in the process of unpacking, I did come across my Autumn/Thanksgiving decorations!  This is the extent of my holiday decorating:


I'm not much of a holiday decorator - I'll blame that on my Chinese upbringing.  When we moved to Texas, the sales assistant that sold us our house was appalled when she found out I had no fall decorations and brought me some of her decorations to make things more festive.  Now we are good friends and every year when I put up my Thanksgiving decor I am reminded of her.

Here's a sneak peak at my living room with my awesome fall decorations.

In an effort to carry on some American traditions, I managed to find a frozen turkey here and had Andy lug it home.  It was a bit expensive, but worth it to have a little piece of home here in Singapore.  My dad is coming to visit next week and he's bringing me some cranberry sauce and Pepperidge Farm stuffing!  So, I'll be waiting until next week to cook up our Thanksgiving dinner.  This way we'll have an extra person to help in the turkey eating effort.

So instead of a turkey on Thanksgiving, I stopped by my favorite chicken rice spot and picked up some of this wonderful goodness:


Here it is - wrapped in Singaporean "take away" style....which is basically a folded up piece of butcher paper tied with a rubber band.  And of course, everything comes with chili sauce!

A closer look at the wonderful goodness inside....A pretty good substitute for turkey I'd say!

Even though Thanksgiving is not the same without family surrounding you, I'm still thankful for our little 2-person family.  This year has been full of a lot of changes, and I'm definitely thankful for God's blessings on me and Andy.  I still can't believe that we're beginning this amazing adventure half way across the world and getting to experience all sorts of new things.  

Hope everyone back home is having a great Thanksgiving full of love, family, friends, and great food!  We miss you all terribly!

No comments:

Post a Comment