Monday, December 6, 2010

Our First Visitor!

I know it's been awhile since I last posted, so be prepared for a long one..... This past week, I've been busy  spending time with our very first visitor to Singapore!  I've only been here a little more than a month but my dad decided to come out to visit (in conjunction with a trip to Taiwan to see family).  We had a great time!  I took him all around town and introduced him to all the good eats of singapore.

First, we headed out to Sentosa Island.  It's a resort island created just south of Singapore.  There's a beach, Universal Studios, various hotels, and a fun amusement park.  We walked around the island and decided to do the luge ride.  You basically ride a luge on wheels down the race path.  You can actually go pretty fast.  Andy sped down the mountain while me and my dad drove like old ladies.


This is how we got back up to the top of the mountain:


 You see? We have ski lifts here too....just no skis or snow :-(  I have to admit it was a little weird riding the ski lift over the beach and jungle scenery.  You can see underneath those people are the luge cars that we rode.  On our way out, we were corralled into taking a picture with these fun characters:


Then we walked by this and couldn't resist the temptation to take a picture.

 Here's my dad happy to have some char kway teow.  Yummy!

During the week, we also visited all the big sites:

Orchard Road


 Merlion Park

In front of the Marina Bay Sands

While my dad was here, I took him around to my favorite spots - the grocery stores!  We did a little bit of cooking, and one night, we whipped up a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  It was a success!  Normally, for Thanksgiving in my family, dinner revolves around hot pot.  In recent years (since I married Andy) we've added a turkey for his sake.  I know Andy was craving his American Thanksgiving meal so I had my dad import some cranberry sauce and Pepperidge Farm stuffing.  The turkey turned out amazing thanks to the new convection oven we've got in the apartment.  I cooked the 10 lb turkey for 2 hours and it was perfect!

Yummy Goodness!

A very happy Andy with his meal

This year, my dad turns 60! For an early birthday celebration, we took him to Jumbo Seafood in Clarke Quay for some famous chili crab

Ready for our chili crab!


The world famous Singaporean chili crab!  So good!

Grilled Tilapia - so good!

Spinach coated tofu with mushrooms.


All in all, it was a super fun trip and I'm so glad my dad came to visit!  As usual, it was all too short...I wish he could've stayed longer.  But, since we're not going to be able to see our families during the holidays this year, it was nice to have some family come here.  Now, who's next??

3 comments:

  1. aw, jennie, it looks like you guys had so much fun! Great blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like an awesome trip and the food...looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks! Your dad's socks are classic! Haha!

    ReplyDelete