Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chinese New Year: Singapore Version

Before we left for Taiwan to celebrate Chinese New Year with family, we checked out the sights around Singapore.  There were local night markets set up near us, but we also ventured out to Chinatown to see what was going on there.  After all, it is Chinese New Year, so Chinatown should be where it's at.

They set up many decorations in the streets.  Along the median were cherry blossom trees....but I couldn't get close enough to tell if they were real or not.


The main MRT entrance at Chinatown was packed with people!

We stopped for some scallion pancake-like things made in what looked like a giant quesadilla maker.  If only I could make some quesadillas with that....mmm.  Oh how I miss Tex Mex.

The streets were lined with vendors selling all sorts of interesting goodies.  Some giant ham hocks hanging...not sure what these are since I can't read Chinese.

All the Chinese sausages you could possibly want....meat lover's heaven!

While we were walking around looking for a place to eat, we saw some chili peppers lying on a table just waiting for someone to dig in...hungry anyone?


We ended up settling on a Vietnamese restaurant where we had egg rolls and pho.  Made me miss Houston even more...they've got some awesome Vietnamese there!


Then we walked around some more, checking out the lights and lanterns.

I couldn't resist taking a picture with the pretty lanterns...and the plastic red bag...I don't even think it's mine...

On our way out, we walked by a stand selling giant pomelos.

To give you a sense of just how large...
 They were pretty much the size of Andy's head...scary!

And then we walked to the MRT and called it a night.

Next up - Chinese New Year in Taiwan! Sorry I'm so behind!

3 comments:

  1. did you get a pomelo? they are my fav!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we actually didn't - they were $6 each! A bit pricey... but I do love pomelos - the ones I love most are these super sweet yellow ones I found in Houston...but haven't seen them here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's not pho.... love you and miss you jlin!

    ReplyDelete