Monday, February 21, 2011

Good Eats

Just when you thought I was done blogging about Taiwan, I felt it deserved one more post - one dedicated solely to the glorious culinary delights I got to consume.  After all, eating is what Chinese people do best!

First, we start at the market - 
The noodle lady at the local market
The fresh noodle lady at the market - fresh noodles are amazing!  Can't get this in the states.

Fish stall
The fish vendor 

Fruits and veggies
Fruits and Veggies - forgot to get photos of my favorite exotic fruits - guava and rose apples!

Now, on to night market foods:
The grilled corn masters
The grilled corn men - they take corn, grill it and coat it with Chinese BBQ sauce.  The kernels become chewy and are so tasty with the sauce.

Andy and his grilled corn
Andy ready to chomp into his corn.

Smelly Tofu Lady
The stinky tofu lady - apparently she is one of the more famous stalls at the night market.  The tofu was so good! Very stinky, but crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Rice Noodle Team
Owa Misua - rice noodle soup.  This stuff was amazing - made even better because it was chilly outside so the hot soup warmed me up.

Rice Noodle or Owa Misua

Shaved Snow Ice
Shaved snow ice - this stuff is way better than the traditional shaved ice.  They shave it in a magical way so that the ice feels soft and creamy in your mouth...almost like ice cream.

Shrimp Rolls
We went to the National Palace Museum and grabbed lunch in between browsing.  We had noodles, fried shrimp rolls, and other Taiwanese street snacks (I can't remember the names).
Museum grub

Mi fen, and other goodies
We spent a day in Danshui and ate some local specialties.  Stir fried noodles, some meat dumplings, tofu stuffed with vermicelli, and the famous Danshui fish ball soup.
Fishball Soup

New Year's Eve Dinner - Hotpot!
For New Years Eve, we stayed in and had a big family dinner.  We had some yummy hot pot and my uncle pulled out all the stops and got two lobsters! 
David is ready for his hotpot
My little cousin, anxiously ready to dip into the goods.

Now I'm finally done posting about my trip to Taiwan....a couple of weeks after the fact! Anyway, better late than never.  One more thing to share - I finally opened up a Flickr account and will be posting my pics in albums there.  I had noticed my pictures were not very clear when I loaded them straight to blogger so I did some testing and found that they look much better when I load them from Flickr.  So now you can go to this album to check out all the pics!

1 comment: