Saturday, November 14, 2009

Conquering the Machine Applique Monster

::edit:: You might have noticed that I posted this post and then removed it and am now re-posting it.  Well, note to self, make sure to wait until after the blanket is given as a gift before posting it.  Don't want be the one to spoil the secrecy of a gift!

This week, it's just me and the dog again as my husband's out of town.  I've got a few orders lined up so I've been pretty busy sewing away.  I've been working hard on conquering the skill of machine applique.  This blanket sat on my sewing desk for a long time simply because I was waiting for some motivation to try and machine applique the letters on.  The thing about machine applique is that you only have one shot to get it right - you can't start and stop in the middle of a letter.  So if you get all the way to the very end and make a mistake, you have to take it out and start from scratch.  I've had some frustrating experiences with some trial appliques, and had been using hand applique for awhile.  The problem with hand applique is that it is very time intensive.  So, I was pushing it off till the last minute, but I needed to finish it today so I finally tackled the blanket.  I think it turned out pretty well and I'm very proud of it!





I had some left over fabric and decided to make a few extra gifts for my friend:



On the dog-sitting front, things have been getting better.  Last week was rough and the dog was very close to being banished from my house for "leaving her mark" several times on my brand new carpets.  In the last incident, we caught her in the act and gave her a good scolding....I think she got the point.  So, she's been on her best behavior the past few days.  Hopefully that will stay until her owners come to pick her up!  Thought you all might like to see a pic - she's really cute, but she sure has some attitude!



No comments:

Post a Comment