Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Take Away

It's been a rather uneventful week as Andy's been working late.  I'm home resting off the after effects of a migraine so I thought I'd write up a post.

The other day, Andy called home and asked me if I had planned anything for dinner.  I had just planned to have left overs and so he said his coworker was bringing him to get some great Chicken Rice at a stall near where we live.  Of course, I'm always in the mood for Chicken Rice and to hear there's a good place nearby is an extra bonus.

Something you should know is that here, they have a different name for alot of things, such as takeout.  The local people speak what has been dubbed as "Singlish", and seriously, even though it is technically English, the grammar and phrases are completely different and can be difficult to understand at times.  One of the first few times I ordered takeout at a hawker center, I had quite the hilarious experience.  Proud to be using my Mandarin, I had ordered a cup of soy milk from the vendor and as he was busy filling my order, the cashier (who looked to be Malay) asked me something like "havhiere o takway".  I asked her to repeat herself about 5 times before the Chinese vendor turned around and exasperatingly asked me in Mandarin if I wanted to drink it here or take it to go.  I have learned that sometimes it's easier for me to understand Mandarin than Singlish...

So really, what the lady was asking me was if I was "Having here" or "Take away".  Thus is the Singaporean way.  Perhaps I need to enroll in some Singlish courses...

IMG_1416
This chicken rice was a little difference since we got tofu and egg with it, but it was definitely good!

IMG_1410
Chicken Rice is not Chicken Rice without some awesome hot sauce.....which always comes in a puffy bag.

IMG_1421
Hot sauce is not the only thing that comes in a bag.....so does the soup!  Amazingly, all the liquids stay put.  Usually, when you order Chicken Rice, you get a bowl of chicken broth, but if you get take away,  you usually have to forgo the broth.  I guess this vendor goes the extra step.

IMG_1430
Andy also got some Roti Prata with curry dipping sauce.  I'll admit, this is not my favorite dish, it's good, but I think the sanitary rating of "C" makes me a little wary of eating at this place....Some do say that the dirtier the stall the better the food.  Andy's had it twice and it hasn't made him sick, so maybe I should just suck it up and try it....it's supposed to be a really famous shop.  I guess it must be good if people still go despite the lacking health ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment