Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Funday

I've been gearing up to go out tonight for a girl's night out on the town.  A friend's mom is turning 65 and she wants to celebrate with some dancing....so a bunch of us are gonna hit up the local club tonight.  As the event has drawn nearer, I've been hit with the sad realization that the last time I got dressed up to go dancing was at least 5 years ago.....when I was in college for crying out loud.  Even sadder is the realization that a 65 year old woman is the one motivating me to go out tonight.  I guess when I first graduated, I lived at home, worked at 60 hour/week job and spent all my free time sleeping.  Then I got married, moved to a little town in NY, where there was no such thing as clubs.  When we moved to the Houston area, but I had no friends to go out with.  Now that we're settled in up here, I've finally got some girlfriends and we're going out!

Now, onto the dilemma of what to wear.  I obviously don't fit into anything I wore in college, plus I don't have any roommates to borrow clothes from....I'm feeling more depressed by the minute as the realization set in of how lame my life is.  Taking a look in the closet didn't help much, as my wardrobe consists of business casual clothing and shorts and t-shirts.  First, I decided to start with pants - I pulled out my tightest pair of jeans - I picked up these skinny jeans at a liquidation sale where you couldn't try anything on.  Big mistake - they're the perfect length but too tight, and someone had yanked the zipper pull off. So unless I wanted to look like a sausage popping out of the casing, and have someone telling me XYZ all night long, they're unwearable.  They've been sitting in my closet for the longest time, waiting for in hope that I might fix them someday (and lose a few pounds to squeeze into them).  For awhile I had gained a little weight and could not wear them at all, but much to my surprise, I tried them on and they fit (very snugly), but the important thing is, I could button them.  So, I decided to tackle this project in pursuit of an outfit that might be club-worthy.


I took a pair of my husband's old jeans, took the zipper off that and reattached it to my skinny jeans. I didn't have the right color of thread, but hey, who's looking that closely?  Here's the result:



Now, onto a top.  I stopped at a local thrift shop and picked up a beautiful Ann Taylor silk tank for only $3.39.  There's a small stain, but you really can't tell.  I couldn't believe my luck.  Paired with my skinny jeans and a pair of heels, I have the perfect outfit.


Guess I won't be chowing down for dinner.  Now, I just have to pray that they'll hold up while I bust a move on the dance floor.  Wouldn't want to bust my pants open.  All I can say is thank goodness for whoever invented spandex!

1 comment:

  1. you look great! they don't look tight at all! have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete