Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 7

edit:: I wasn't able to post this until today due to the fact that I could not upload my pictures while I was in Victoria.....so here it is, a few days late.

It's officially day 7 of my Victoria campout.  Yesterday, I was rescued from the hotel by a new friend and did some shopping.  Of course, one of my stops was the fabric shop.   I got some more great prints to add to my collection.  Can't wait to make some cute blankets out of them!

Today I ventured out to the Victoria plant sale.  One of the great things about small town living is that generally, things are cheaper out here.  I got a great little hibiscus plant for $5!  I wish I could've gotten more, but then I'd have to lug them all back to Houston with me. 

Anyway, I've pretty much run out of projects to sew here.  I had planned to work on my dress, but I met an obstacle even before starting...this does not bode well for my project.  When I bought the pattern, I noticed there was one for sizes 6-12 and one for sizes 14-whatever.  Thinking that since I'm roughly a size 6 in women's clothing, I'd have no problem fitting into anything under a 12 right?  WRONG.  Turns out, after measuring myself and comparing with the chart, parts of me are a size 14 and others are a 16!  I don't know whose bright idea it was number their sizes like that...I thought the goal was to flatter women, not make them feel like they should be looking in the plus size department.  Well, I guess I'm going to have to go get the larger sized pattern if I want something that's going to fit me and not the store mannequin.

In the mean time, I've made myself a pair of flannel sleep pants that can double as lounging pants.  I live in my pjs...on days I don't have to go anywhere, I spend all day in my comfortable, loose, pj pants.  However, I am embarrassed to admit that I've been alternating between a pair Pepe Le Pew with candy canes and Scooby Doo with santa hats pj bottoms for the past 5 years....they're both faded and about 4 inches too short for me.  They were passed over to me from my aunt who had gotten them as samples from a friend who worked as a pj designer.  I finally decided it was time to get rid of these pants (as comfortable as they are) and make myself a pair that I wouldn't be embarrassed to answer the door in.  So, now I've been walking around the hotel in these:


I made them slightly flared and more form fitting than regular pj bottoms...I've been living in these all week long here in Victoria.  This way, I can roll out of bed and grab breakfast downstairs, or run down to the business center without having to worry about drawing some weird stares.

No comments:

Post a Comment